Friday 3 June 2011

Country Roads

I have always been a bit of a country girl at heart. As a child, I was raised in the country–not so far away from civilization that I was uneducated as to which fork to use for the salad, but far enough out so as to not have to worry about crime, traffic, or the stress associated with the “need it now, gotta be there yesterday” mentality of city living. I grew up climbing trees, making elaborate forts in the woods, riding horses, exploring the vast wilderness, and camping every weekend, but I also hungered for the socialization associated with the city and often times I wished I could be a part of that life. It is interesting that one really doesn’t realize how good we may have it until we live on the other side of the fence.

Over the past couple of decades, I have experienced city life in various forms and degrees, and I have come to the conclusion that my upbringing in the country was far better than anywhere else I have experienced. Currently, we live in a small town of about 12,000 people, but within an hour drive of a major municipality. It’s a cute, friendly little town, but even in our small little community, I still see the city life mentality alive and well, and even here I have yearned for a quiet little country house away from noise, pollution, and utter chaos in general.

A week ago, our fortunes took a major turn for the better when we happened upon exactly what I have always wanted (but not necessarily what I have always KNOWN I wanted) as I discovered a beautiful house in the country looking for a tenant. Suddenly, we found ourselves moving away from chaos and crossing into serenity, as we prepare to leave behind our small two bedroom basement suite into a very large 3 bedroom walkout basement farmhouse built into a hill and with beef cattle, a horse, and two cats-in addition to our own two dogs, who took to the huge back yard and vast open spaces like a duck to water. Like the dogs, we all immediately felt not only at home, but at peace in the new and beautiful surroundings of our new paradise..

No comments:

Post a Comment