Monday 9 May 2011

My Family is Way Awesome

In the spirit of Mother’s Day, I decided to use one of my oldest son Ben’s quotes as the title of this blog post. As a resident of British Columbia Canada and also an immigrant-in-transition, it is not possible for me to travel to the United States for any reason without risking refusal back into Canada, so until I am fully immigrated I must remain here. Most of the time this is not a problem as I love it up here and it is more “home” to me than any place I have ever been, but it also means that I cannot leave to go see family on a whim; they have to come to me.

My son Ben currently lives in Washington, and tries to come up whenever his military unit gives him a weekend off, but due to several recent issues it has not been possible for quite some time. I also had not had the opportunity to meet his new wife Megan as she didn’t currently have a passport, so imagine my surprise to see them standing at the door on Friday, announcing they were here to spend Mother’s Day weekend with me! I later learned that this plan had been in the works for over a month and that everyone else knew but me, as it was supposed to be a surprise..and a surprise it definitely was! Aside from having them show up on our doorstep, I was also extremely impressed that Mike was able to keep the secret for as long as he did, as deception is not one of his strengths. I also learned that my daughter Tanya had been avoiding calling me for the last few weeks because she was afraid she might spill the beans. At any rate, we had a fantastic weekend up here with them. We took them out to dinner on Friday, watched several movies together, talked and generally socialized a bunch, I made them pizzas on Sunday afternoon, and then we all went out for Mother’s Day dinner at Encore. Ben gave me a most awesome 8 x 10 photo of his recent graduation from the latest military school he attended, and Megan gave me a gorgeous collage of ultrasound photos of their unborn child! Both will be displayed on the wall as soon as possible.

All in all, I had the best Mother’s Day that I can remember in a long time. It was great having them here and regrettable to see them go, but they did promise to come up one more time before leaving for Kansas, so we will look forward to that. I must say that I absolutely agree with Ben’s sentiments and I am stealing his quote: My family is way awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment